The 19th Annual Capstone Engineering Society Golf Tournament was held Sept. 16, 2019, at Old Overton Country Club in Vestavia Hills, Alabama.
Thanks to generous contributions from sponsors and teams, more than $53,000 was raised for the Capstone Engineering Society Scholarship Fund. Since 2001, the CES Golf Tournament has raised more than $653,000.
“It’s always a good day when you get to have a little fun on the course while supporting engineering student scholarships,” said Liz Moore, CES manager. “Over 160 students have benefitted from the fund. The impact in the lives of our students in invaluable.”
A total of 132 players on 33 teams participated in this year’s tournament, and 40 sponsors covered the meal, drinks, putting contest, each hole and three tournament levels to make the event a success.
Gaston Large was the tournament chair, and Harry Gabriel served as co-chair. Members of the CES golf committee were Suzanne Chapman, Milton Davis, Greg Floyd, Tony McLain, Rick Nail, Rod Northam, Chris Palmer, Valerie Wade and David Williams.
- First Place – Gross:
- Charlie Vines, Ray Doss, Tim Kirchner, Ned Martin – Vulcan Materials Company
- First Place – Net:
- Zach Burger, Dave Williams, JJ Thomas, Mike Simmons – VIC Systems International
- Second Place – Net:
- Mike Tracy, David Muncher, Jeff Kendrick, Gary Randall – Drummond Co.
- Putting Contest Winner:
- Zach Burger – VIC Systems International
- Closest to the Pin:
- Dennis Porche – Wade Sand and Gravel Co., Inc.
- Longest Drive:
- John Hendrick – Thompson Tractor
- Drummond Company
- Brasfield & Gorrie
- Hoar Program Management
- Neptune Technology Group Inc.
- McAbee Construction
- Alabama Power Company
- VIC Systems Intl
- Bama Concrete
- Jones Walker LLP
- Putting Contest:
- B. L. Harbert International
- Dunn Construction
- LBYD, Inc.
- Apache Construction Corporation
- McGiffert and Associates, LLC
- Schoel Engineering Co., Inc.
- Vulcan Painters, Inc.
- Roscoe Wallace
- Nucor Steel Tuscaloosa, Inc.
- Nucor Steel Decatur
- Thompson CAT
- C&B Piping, Inc.
- Hunt Refining Company
- C.S. Beatty Construction
- Bernhard TME
- PASS, Inc.- Process Automation & Simulation Services, Inc.
- Vulcan Materials Company
- Ferguson Waterworks
- Morell Engineering
- Hargrove Engineers + Constructors
- Wade Sand and Gravel Co., Inc.
- Evans Family Sauces
- Seabrook Solutions, LLC
- Barnett Jones Wilson, LLC
- SAIIA Construction Company
- Gonzalez-Strength and Associates, Inc.
- Spectrum Environmental Services
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
The 20th Annual Capstone Engineering Society Golf Tournament + Silent Auction will be Monday, Nov. 9, 2020. This year there will be a virtual component to the tournament. As in the past, the in-person tournament will be at Old Overton Country Club in Vestavia Hills, Alabama. Additionally, players will have the option to participate virtually in the silent auction as well as play at the course of their choosing. More details to come!
In 1837, The University of Alabama became one of the first five universities in the nation to offer engineering classes. Today, UA’s College of Engineering has more than 5,800 students and more than 130 faculty. In recent years, students in the College have been named USA Today All-USA College Academic Team members, Goldwater, Hollings, Portz, Boren, Mitchell and Truman scholars.